Add to comparison
Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope
Binocular head. Revolving nosepiece: 4 objectives. Magnification: 40–2000x. Built-in dark field condenser
Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope is ideal for biochemical, pathologo-anatomic, cytologic, hematologic, urologic, dermatologic, biologic, and general clinical research in laboratories of any medical institution. It allows examinations using both bright field and dark field methods.... more
Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope is ideal for biochemical, pathologo-anatomic, cytologic, hematologic, urologic, dermatologic, biologic, and general clinical research in laboratories of any medical institution. It allows examinations using both bright field and dark field methods.
It also features a binocular rotatable nosepiece. Its revolving head allows positioning of four objectives, is inclined at 30 degrees and rotates 360 degrees around its axis. The microscope features the classic Koehler illumination system, with field and aperture diaphragm adjustment.
The focusing mechanism features integrated coarse- and fine-adjustment screws. Focus accuracy is achieved due to the vertical move of the stage relative to the fixed objective with use of focusing handles. Bi-coordinate stage can move in horizontal and vertical directions. The stage dimensions are 140x155 mm (5.5x6.1 in). The focusing mechanism and stage move smoothly, without jerks or backlash. Increment is 25 mm (1 in) for coarse focusing and 0.002 mm (0.00008 in) for fine focusing.
The microscope’s illumination system includes a halogen lamp 6V/20W, with smooth brightness adjustment.
The microscope is equipped with a built-in dark field condenser, which works while the Abbe condenser is at full length upwards. To run it, rotate the illumination ring counterclockwise until you achieve the desired result. When turning it clockwise, you will return to the bright field. The method of dark field in the transmitted light is used to get images of transparent objects that are invisible when using the bright field method. This method is widespread, for instance in in hemoscanning, a unique method of blood examination.
About the dark field method:
When the light is coming out of the condenser, the main part of light rays have not changed their direction while coming through the transparent specimen, so they form a beam in the shape of a hollow cone and do not reach the objective (located inside of this cone).
The observed image is formed in the microscope with help of just a small part of rays that have been dispersed into the cone by the specimen micro particles and then passed through the objective. As a result, bright images of the specimen structure elements whose refractive index differs from the environment are visible in the field of view against the dark background. For large particles, only brighter edges dispersing the light rays are visible.
- Magnification: 40–2000x
- Oil immersion
- Condenser: Abbe with iris diaphragm
- Two-axes stage
- Fine and coarse focusing
- Halogen illumination with brightness adjustment
- Household power supply
The kit includes:
- Microscope stand with base
- Binocular head
- Objectives: PLAN WF: 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x (oil)
- Eyepieces: paired, wide field PLAN WF10x, PLAN WF20x
- Filters (blue, yellow, green)
- Bottle of immersion oil
- AC adapter
- User manual and lifetime warranty
Caution: Please refer to the specifications table for the correct mains voltage and never attempt to plug a 110V device into 220V outlet and vice versa without using a converter. Remember that mains voltage in the U.S. and Canada is 110V and 220-240V in most European countries.
You can find a review on this microscope here.
Find answers to frequently asked questions about microscopes here.
Find a useful review on what a microscope consists of here.
Some things you can see under a microscope:
You can find these and many more interesting microscope slides to observe in the Levenhuk Prepared Slides Sets.
Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope is compatible with Levenhuk digital cameras (purchased separately). Levenhuk cameras are installed in the eyepiece tube instead of an eyepiece.
The microscope comes with two additional accessories for connecting a digital camera: an extension tube and another extender. We recommend using these accessories when working with short focus objectives in order to achieve better focus.
|paired, wide field PLAN WF10x, PLAN WF20x|
|PLAN WF: 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x (oil immersion)|
Interpupillary distance, mm
|140x155, moving stage|
Stage moving range, using focusing mechanism, mm
Eyepiece diopter adjustment, diopters
|Abbe N.A. 1.25 with premium iris diaphragm and dark field condenser|
|fine - 0.002 mm; coarse - 25 mm|
|halogen lamp 6V/20W|
|110V power cable|
General use product.
May be used by kids
over 3 years old.
|Lab Research, Industrial|
High-resolution images (rar) 170614kb
Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope - Total: 44 0 44
I own 850B model and it is fantastic. I would like to upgrade it with camera. Is it possible to buy separately trinocular head (I guess it's exchangable) or only option would be to buy camera and install it on existing binocular eyepiece? Thanks. Levenhuk Customer Service:
Hi Radek, Thanks for your question! The only option would be to purchase camera separately and install it into one of the eyepieces. Thank you!
We need a microscope for hematological studies at home. We decided to get 850B model, is this microscope phase-contrast (we were advised to get a phase-contrast one). How does this feature facilitate research? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Levenhuk 850B binocular microscope is suitable for haematological studies, but it is not phase-contrast.
Are the eyepieces equipped with a measuring ruler? Is the object-micrometer for calibration included in the set? Levenhuk Customer Service:
The eyepieces of Levenhuk 850B binocular microscope are not equipped with a measuring ruler. An object-micrometre for the dimension calibration is not included in the set.
Where can I buy a dark field condenser for this microscope Levenhuk Customer Service:
The Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope has a built-in dark field condenser.
Can with microscope come with LED light bulb Levenhuk Customer Service:
Hello! The microscope’s illumination system includes a halogen lamp 6V/20W
Hello, is this model suitable for metallographic studies? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Unfortunately, Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope is not suitable for this purpose as it allows observing only transparent objects.
No. Thank you. Levenhuk Customer Service:
John, please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any assistance.
Thank you for your answer. I have seen some other microscope specs (other brand) with working distance twice as much. That's why I asked. Levenhuk Customer Service:
Dear John, thank you for your reply. I double checked with our experts and they confirmed that it will be enough working distance. Is there any additional information you might need?
Hello! Specifications of 850B looks great. However user manual for 850B says that working distance for 100x objective is only 0.158mm (0.006in). But this is typical thickness of cover slips. Does is mean that one must buy ultra-thin cover slips for this microscope to have some room for focusing on the sample under the slip? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Dear John, thank you for interest in Levenhuk products! Yes, it is a standard working distance for 100x objectives. You will be able to use a standard cover slips. Is there any additional information you might need?
Hello! The first question for you... Is there specimen holder? I'm pretty sure that there is... but you haven't mention it in the description, but on the picture I can see something like that. And the second question... I'm choosing between this microscope and Levenhuk 670T. Levenhuk 670T has a trinocular head and I'm going to purchase a digital camera soon any way... but this model has dark field condenser and objectives must be better... I have no idea what to choose... But this darkfield method is quite interesting and useful... I can observe transparent microorganisms in liquids... Levenhuk Customer Service:
Yes Levenhuk 850B model has a specimen holder. Due to its built-in dark field condenser this model will be preferable. Also, take a look at Levenhuk D870T Digital Trinocular Microscope - https://www.levenhuk.com/catalogue/microscopes/levenhuk-d870t/
What is price-quality ratio? Which microscope you would call "... - Levenhuk 850B without dark-field condenser?" Just to understand - how did it affect the price. Levenhuk Customer Service:
Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope will be the best option talking about its price and quality ratio. Previous models have smaller field of view and a lower degree light absorption. For example, Levenhuk 625 Biological Microscope (https://www.levenhuk.com/products/microscope_levenhuk_625/) costs only 389.95$, has the same range of magnifications, but the lenses installed are ones of the previous generation.
I can't adjust eyepieces, the image splits in two. Could it be a factory defect? Levenhuk Customer Service:
First of all, try to relax your eyes when you look in both eyepieces, change interpupillary distance until you get desired image. Diopter adjustment should will be useful. If nothing works then you should contact our Service Center, telephone numbers and addresses you can find in your warranty, or just call us: 800-342-1706.
Hello! I want to give my boys (11 yo) a microscope. Requirements: it's possible to see blood cells, possibly DNA. Not very expensive. Maybe you have another alternative options except for Levenhuk 850B? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Take a look at the Levenhuk 625 Biological Microscope: https://www.levenhuk.com/products/microscope_levenhuk_625/
How much is Levenhuk 870? Levenhuk Customer Service:
The price of the Levenhuk 870T Biological Trinocular Microscope is $899.95.
The dark field condenser for what magnification is required, dry or wet? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Dark field condenser is required for work with 100x oil immersion objective.
Is it possible to set a phase-contrast device on this microscope? How much will it cost for this microscope? what manufacturers? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Phase contrast installation, unfortunately, is not possible.
got this microscope and in the kit comes a bottle of oil. Tell me, is it immersion oil? And one more question. This microscope has white and black rings on one objective (others have only one), so it means that it's possible to use both oil and water with this microscope? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Yes, it is immersion oil, it is used with 100x objective. You can't use water with objectives.
If I want to set a camera I have to install it in place of one eyepiece? With a camera can I measure a size? Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. Yes, digital camera is installed instead of one of eyepieces. 2. Yes, it's possible to conduct measurements by using digital camera.
Can I place a scale for measurements of cubital index on this microscope? It should be placed on both eyepieces? Is it difficult to measure this way? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Unfortunately, the accessory you are interested in is not available in our online store, there is no possibility to provide you with accurate specifications. As an alternative model for measurement, we can offer the Levenhuk C35 NG Digital Camera: https://www.levenhuk.com/products/levenhuk-c35ng-350k-digital-camera/
and this camera? How's the quality? Levenhuk Customer Service:
We guarantee assembly reliability and exceptional quality of the optics.
Can you clarify - where should I place the drop of immersion oil (on the condenser lens itself - between the condenser and the slide; or between the objective lens and the cover glass?) Levenhuk Customer Service:
You should place a drop of immersion oil on the cover glass and then lower the objective so it can touch the drop. Oil works as a binding medium between the cover glass and the objective lens and thus increases the resolution of produced images.
For what the dark field condenser is required? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Dark-field study is required in cases when it cannot be conducted using bright field method, for example dark-field method is used for blood cell examination.
The dark field condenser is so expensive? Can I set a camera on this microscope if it has a binocular head? Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. Yes. dark field condenser isn't cheap. 2. Yes, you can attach a camera to the Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope.
Does this camera have a good picture quality? Are there any templates? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Please specify the model of the digital camera that you are interested in.
Good afternoon! Is it possible to set Levenhuk C130 and Levenhuk C310 on this microscope? Thanks in advance! Levenhuk Customer Service:
Yes, it is possible to attach these cameras to the Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope.
1. Are objectives 4x, 10x, 40x, 100x PLAN 4X-40X achromatic or plan? It is specified that only 100x is plan while the eyepieces all have the abbreviation'plan'. If achromatic, then are there separate plan and super plan objectives 10x and 4x? 2. Is there only lower lighting? Can I get this result (on the pic) using dark field method (completely black background, but the object is perfectly visible) or it was done with the help of something else? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c5/Mysis2kils.jpg/220px-Mysis2kils.jpg can I buy a camera separately and use it with this microscope? or should I buy trinocular? is there adapters for this microscope for digital cameras such as Nikon Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. PLAN objectives, suitable objectives and eyepieces, as separate accessories, are not available at the moment. 2. Yes, there is only lower lighting. Yes, theoretically it's possible. 3. Yes, it's possible, direct your attention to these models: https://www.levenhuk.com/catalogue/digital-cameras-microscope-all-items/. The best choice will be a trinocular microscope. Unfortunately, adapters are not available at the moment.
5. Are the objectives parfocal, is focus needed while changing the eyepiece? 6. What filters come in the kit? 7. Is there any case for transporting the instrument? Levenhuk Customer Service:
5. The focus is required. 6. This model currently comes with 3 filters (blue, green, orange) 7. The dust cover is included in the kit.
Questions: 1. What objectives are included in the kit (achromatic, apochromatic); 2. what'PLAN'means in 100x objective; 3. what cameras can be used with it; 4. if I use the camera MVV3000 (the description says that it should be installed in place of the eyepiece), then will it reduce the magnification? Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. The Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope is equipped with Plan achromatic objectives. 2. "PLAN" mark at the end of the line means that all objectives are plan-achromats. 3. We recommend Levenhuk digital cameras for microscopes: https://www.levenhuk.com/catalogue/digital-cameras-microscope-all-items/. 4. The increase is calculated according to the fact that the camera itself has 10x magnification.
Good afternoon! Thanks for your previous answers! I looked at cameras that you offer and it turns out that the maximum magnification of Levenhuk cameras is 12x, when they are used instead of the eyepiece, with the objective 100x you can get 1200x. Questions: 1. is it so? 2. Levenhuk cameras have a limited speed 12 fps, what cameras can you offer for capturing 30 fps. 3. do you have cameras with 20x or more magnification power, by any chance? Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. All Levenhuk digital cameras have 10x magnification power. 2. Levenhuk C310 NG Digital Camera. https://www.levenhuk.com/products/levenhuk-c310ng-digital-camera/ 3. We don't have these cameras in our assortment.
Hello, can I use the digital camera C310 with Levenhuk 850B. Levenhuk Customer Service:
Yes, you can.
1. Why do we need two pairs of eyepieces? 2. how can I adjust the diopter and why there's only one diopter adjustment ring. 3. where is the black field condenser and when I need to use it. 4. Where, in what cases and what filters I need to insert? Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. For obtaining different magnification power. 2. The diopter adjustment is done by rotating the right eyepiece. One eye adapts to another, it's enough to adjust only one eye. 3. The condenser is situated under the stage, there are objects that should be studied only in dark field. 4. Filters should be inserted also under the stage, there is a special recess for installation. Different studies require different contrast. Can you clarify what exactly are you going to study?
I don't quite understand. I will specify my previous question. Why can't I just use one filter (blue or yellow, for example). What's the difference between them? Or different specimens require different color filter? Levenhuk Customer Service:
You can observe with or without filters. Some objects can be seen better with blue filter; some of them with yellow.
Why do I need filters of different colors? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Coloured filters are required for contrast enhancement while observing thin and transparent objects.
What's the difference of using filters of different colors? Levenhuk Customer Service:
In contrast enhancement while observing thin and transparent objects.
1. In what cases I can use immersion oil? 2. For observing what kinds of slides the dark field condenser is needed? 3. Can I purchase separately filters for this microscope, if something happens to them? Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. You will need immersion oil while using 100x objective. 2. Thin and transparent. 3. Unfortunately, we don't sell these filters separately.
Can you give me advice? What experimental kit will be the best addition to this microscope, in case I want to buy the most complete and high-quality set that you have. Levenhuk Customer Service:
Consider Levenhuk N80 NG "See all" Slides Set: https://www.levenhuk.com/products/acc_levenhuk_n80_see_all/
Thank you so much for the link. great full instructions for this type of microscope. But, unfortunately, I haven't found the answer to my question. Levenhuk Customer Service:
In the kit you will find: 2 eyepieces (WF 10x, 20x), 4 objectives (4x; 10x; 40x; 100x PLAN), adapter, built-in dark field condenser, microscope.
Is this microscope equipped with a filter holder? Are filters included in the kit? If the answer is yes, then what are they exactly? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Yes, it is equipped with a filter holder. 3 filters (yellow, green and blue) are included in the kit.
What comes with the Levenhuk 850B in the kit? Levenhuk Customer Service:
You can find this information here: www.levenhuk.com/products/materials/0/levenhuk-850-870-web.pdf
1. For what studies I need filters and a dark field condenser? 2. Is there any chance of sample damaging while using 40 and 100 objectives? Levenhuk Customer Service:
1. Filter is used, for example, for hematoxylin and eosin staining. The dark field condenser is crucial for observing live unstained microorganisms (examination of bacteria mobility, that are not visible in bright field) 2. No, objectives can't damage the sample.
I use set of slides Levenhuk N80 NG See all! Levenhuk Customer Service:
For studying Levenhuk N80 NG "See all" Prepared Slides Set there's no need for any additional accessories.
Can I use filters with this model? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Yes, you can use filters with the Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope.
Please, tell me, how can I prepare samples? And what's the difference between glass slides and cover slips? Levenhuk Customer Service:
This information can be found in microbiology textbooks and on the Internet. The glass slide - that's where you put the sample, the cover slip covers it. Consider Levenhuk K50 Experiment Kit which has everything you need to prepare microscope slides yourself.
Can I prepare live bacteria or blood samples by myself at home? Levenhuk Customer Service:
Yes, it is possible. Take a look at the Levenhuk K50 Experiment Kit https://www.levenhuk.com/products/acc_levenhuk_k50/. more
Submit your question or review on
Levenhuk 850B Biological Binocular Microscope: